Value Seeds Limited has pioneered an added value production technology for Maize farmers. Value Kit – Maize is farmers’ key to higher yield at lower cost. It is an added value technology rooted in conservation agriculture, which reduces input cost and guarantee dramatic increase on yield. Value Kit – Maize is a one-stop solution for Maize farmers. It contains all the beneficial inputs that a farmer requires to produce 1/4 hectare of Maize.
The objectives of the technology, which is based on Conservation Agriculture, are:
- To get vulnerable groups – women and youth – excited about agriculture
- Reduce operational costs of smallholder farmers
- Increase profitability and by extension income of smallholder farmers
- Enhance soil fertility
- Reduce soil erosion
- Reduce drudgery associated with traditional farming methods
- Serve as social security
- Trigger maize value chains linkages
- To make Nigeria the highest producer of Aflatoxin-free Maize
Value Seeds is optimistic that her Maize production technology would lead to these outcomes:
- Sustainable growth and development
- Sustainable peace and stability
- Alternative source of employment for youth
- Better quality of life for people
- Better health for people
- Farewell to youth restiveness
- Less pressure on government for handouts
- Increased self-dependence by the populace
OUR AGRICULTURAL TECHNOLOGY AND HOW IT WORKS
Our maize production technology is hinged on Conservation Agriculture. Traditional agricultural technology is noted for intensive land tillage, which over the years has made farmers disillusioned about farming and left our soils degraded. Majority of Nigerian farmers are small scale and resource-challenged and for this reason unable to provide basic nutrients for soil and crop health. Our technology helps smallholder farmers to achieve these easily, affordably and profitably. Our maize production technology is called VALUE KIT – MAIZE.
We have competent technical team trained by Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA) on conservation farming. The technology has been adopted since 2015 in Kaduna, Kano, Katsina and Niger States with remarkable results. The technology is an all-inputs pack for the production of quarter hectare of maize by smallholder farmers. Included in the technology kits are high quality seeds of improved varieties of maize seeds and all other components needed by the farmer including Aflasafe and pictorial technology leaflet to guide farmers in sequence of production. Reason for focus on smallholder farmers is informed by the fact that Nigerian agriculture comprises 65% smallholder farmers who are resource-challenged. Size of land is informed by the fact that average land holding by smallholder farmers in Nigeria is one hectare and below.